Welcome!

Thanks for joining me on my journey. PeaceTrees Vietnam is committed to reversing the legacy of war in Quang Tri Province and to developing relationships based on core values of peace, friendship and renewal. I invite you to learn more about PeaceTrees through my story and by visiting their website.
- Sue Warner-Bean

21 March 2009

Dedication Day

Just a quick update before my head hits the pillow.

Today - March 21 in Vietnam - we had the joy and honor of dedicating the Jesse Griego Kindergarten in a little village called A Xing, populated by Van Kieu and Pa Co ethnic minority people.


Nearly 200 children and adults were waiting when we arrived and welcomed us warmly. Various community and provincial dignitaries gave their speeches, and then Jim shared a few words - eloquent and straight from the heart. Some of the new Kindergartners performed songs and dances (enjoyed by all, and much too cute for words). And finally, Jim and the other speakers went to the wall of the school and unveiled the dedication plaque.

We shared lunch with the dignitaries -- A Xing home cooking, eaten with hands and/or chopsticks, sharing a common jug of rice hooch, seated on floor mats in the new classroom (I keep reminding myself that any food prepared with love has to be good for me... but I did dodge the chicken feet). The rest of the village shared the celebratory meal outside. Next it was time to hand out sweets and presents to the many, many children who were there, and to present the Kindergarten teacher with bundles of supplies for the new classroom, generously donated by my friends from Southminster Presbyterian.

So many beautiful children, now with a brighter future. Jesse's life on earth was short, but thanks to Jim and the wonderful donors who contributed to the project, his legacy will last for a long, long time.

Here's to Jesse, and here's to Jim.
Semper Fi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!
I shall rest well tonight - Today has been good...and, all is well with my soul. I pray for God's continued blessings on your journey of love and peace.

LOL/SF

Jon & Oskaar